Welcome to PEPT Flow
Innovative Polymer Flow Visualisation for Optimised Machine Design of Twin Screw Extruders, Improved Mixing and Material Properties, Process Efficiency and Energy Reductions.
The PEPT-Flow project applied the flow analysis technique of positron emission particle tracking (PEPT) for the investigation of polymer flow and mixing behaviour within industrial twin-screw processes, determining the influence of machine design, process operation and polymer system. The results generated can now be used to establish knowledge based machine design criteria and operation guidelines, and to further develop both new and existing commercial simulation and modelling software.
Please click here to view the PEPT-Flow video showing the first real-time flow analysis for twin screw extrusion!
The project has had a significant impact on the competitiveness of European SMEs throughout the plastic supply chain, realising higher added value and improved products and services, including:
- Understanding what happens in a twin screw extruder;
- improved simulation and modelling software;
- knowledge based machine design, optimisation and validation;
- time and cost reductions for new process set-up and optimisation;
- optimised material properties and production (including energy reductions);
- improved processing of new knowledge-based and added value materials;
Programme Call: COLL-CT-2006
Contract No: 030191
Project Start Date: 1st September 2006
Project End Date: 31st December 2009